06 May 2008

Taiwan

i just deboarded my 13-hour flight. what a flippin ordeal that was. i mean come on, for those of you who have followed my travels in the past, do you really think i'd leave you hanging for some first rate chaos?!

before even getting to sfo, i got stranded by super shuttle in emeryville for an hour. it was crazy cold and windy...and dark and scary with drunk people from chevys walking around. and the driver was crazy! i thought he was going to fly off the bay bridge, scrape a siderail, or worse yet, completely miss the exit to sfo. i made it on time. so the flight. yeah. i get on this GIANT thing with wings, and i have seat 38K. K??? was i sitting on the wing? turns out i was sitting on some guy's lap because the seat was already taken. his family had five out of six seats in these two rows, and he decided he like my window seat the best and wouldn't budge. can you believe it?! his wife is like, come sit by me! i get an aisle seat, which was actually preferable because i planned on drinking a lot. water, that is. (and the verdict: no swollen ankles!!!) so this woman is crazier than my super shuttle driver. her kids are crazier, and louder, than her! they're crawling all over me. the family asked me to swap seats multiple times to accommodate the whims of their preferred seating arrangement of the moment. i think they finally got the hint i was ANNOYED and left me alone for the last 4-5 hours of the flight to get some shuteye. thank the big G! frankly, though, the entire economy class was like...just throw me on the cramped Moroccan bus and let the chickens shit on my backpack, all over again! what a circus. but overall, i loved it. everyone was chatting it up. complete strangers were best friends by the end of the flight. super friendly folk...me being one of three caucasians on the flight. and probably the tallest person on the entire plane. i ate asian porridge for breakfast. hella good.

ok, off to my gate. one more flight to bali. ooh, i see coffee up ahead...

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Hopefully Zach's work's travel agency does their job and gets us bulkhead seats for our flight to Texas this summer. I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO LEGROOM!! Might almost make up for the whole flying-with-an-infant-who-may-cry-the-whole-way thing. ; )