04 May 2008

ready to rock

alrighty folks, i'm all set. i leave hella late tomorrow night (1:40am tuesday morning). i have sleeping pills and my mini bucky. i just stocked up on snacks at trader joes. i have sunscreen galore, three swimsuits (brutal to have to bring so many, i know! :), books (great expectations, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, and my LEED study guide - can't help it), a compass (for feng shui research), my little bag of crystals (including a garnet for safe travels, moonstone to enhance my intuition and emotional stability, and carnelian for courage and alertness), and a cowboy hat (it was either that or my camo shorts, and i don't think the war is something i want to represent in a country the defines balance, so texas it is. hmm...). i am unsure whether i prefer a window (better to sleep) or an aisle (better to pee). i don't know how long the flight is exactly, but it's long and i am not looking forward to it. my ankles usually swell after 2.5 hours because i don't drink enough water. i need to stay hydrated on the flight - ok, so maybe the aisle is best.

it's strange preparing to travel for so long by myself. i feel a little paranoid, for instance, i don't have anyone to back me up, so for one i need to make sure i have enough cash in my checking account, and those of you who know me well understand this is a challenge because i ALWAYS cut myself short. my motto is "pay myself first," which means on payday, cash goes into savings...which ultimately keeps me from spending money on the wrong, i.e., unnecessary, crap, but i really don't want to be caught short in a foreign land. so, it took a little "courage" (thank the big G for the carnelian stone), but i didn't pay myself first this month.

on another note, i "joined the real world," as my mom said, and bought a friend's tv yesterday. it's 27". i don't have cable, and probably won't get it anytime soon, but what the hell...at least people won't make fun of me for owning a 13" tv anymore, which i sold last month. yes, somebody actually bought it...off craigslist, of course. and then the guy asked me out. talk about killing two birds there! and no, i did not accept. he was like 5'6" and we all know how i feel about the height thing...

this morning i took my new bike out for another spin. i am still in love with a big hunk of metal. it was so nice up in the oakland hills. a little chilly and foggy...the trees caught the fog like a big net and condensed it into droplets, so the trail was wet and it felt like it was raining. very peaceful, except for the three very intense guys who saw a girl on their tail and nearly went into cardiac arrest trying to stay in front of me. one failed miserably. the other two i could have taken...if they hadn't stopped! i love it - crushing a biker boy's spirit makes me happy. :)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I've come to definitely prefer the aisle seat on long flights. Or at least I did last time I flew long distance... when I was pregnant and getting up for the bathroom every time the seatbelt buckle-up light turned off.

BTW, our tv is black and white. We got it for free from one of Zach's coworkers. (although in a really twisted, random note, it actually plays US dvd's in color... but nothing else)