04 March 2009

mission impossible: break the lease

i received a notice from my property manager last week that my condo is being sold, and that a realtor would be contacting me to schedule walkthroughs. um...excuse me...huh?!

i need advice here, people. when i signed my lease, i was under the impression i was simply renting an apartment. not a word was said about the condo being owned by a private party. typically, not a big deal, i get it. BUT, in my case, i would NOT have signed the lease if this information had been disclosed. #1 i know two couples that have been evicted because the owner of their rented condo went into foreclosure. #2 i would not have accepted the risk of the owner selling the condo, in which case potential buyers would be traipsing through my home. with their shoes on...bringing their strange energy into my home, seeing everything i own, potentially leaving the front door unlocked with my thousands of dollars worth of bikeage just sitting there...this bugs the hell out of me.

so tell me, is this grounds for breaking a lease? i feel the leasing office should have disclosed this information. secondly, if this is not grounds for breaking a lease, can i deny the realtor the right to allow potential buyers into my home?

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Can you talk to the management agency and specify some rules about the walk-throughs, like scheduling them for times you can be there? I assume a realtor will be present always so you'd think they'd be professional enough to always lock the doors afterwards, but you could also ask about liability in case anything of yours is stolen if a door's left unlocked, etc.

I have no idea what the rules are, but since you're likely to get evicted as soon as they sell the place you'd think they'd also let you leave on your own terms... Sucks. That's one thing we were worried about when looking for a place to rent, too. But seeing as the people who share our duplex have been there for 10 years, I don't think the owners are too worried about trying to sell.