10 May 2007

case of the missing cell

so...never thought it would happen to me, but i was absented-minded enough this morning after a BAD interview to lose my phone. i set it on top of my car and drove off. i returned to the scene to look for it, and all i found was one of those giant flood capacity rain gutters they have all over LA. nice. i feel good knowing i've spurred a future Superfund site. however, i had the foresight a couple months ago (well, i was bored enough) to store all my contact info on the verizon website. i am usually against that type of activity...you know, don't want the government to have TOO much info...but deep down, maybe i anticipated this day and went ahead with it. so, never fear: i have all your phone numbers!!! haha! too bad for you. now, the craziest thing happened, the type of thing that really makes me think humanity has something going for itself. i was meeting with a group of girls at school during lunch, since we are all planning a baby shower for Maria. they wanted me to send out my cell number since we're hosting at my place, to which i replied with my lost-cell-phone story. Sarah said, "i have a fee phone now with Verizon. i love my old phone so much that i don't want the new one. you can have it." huh?! Sarah is giving me a free phone! what a lovely, silver lining to my massively poopy day...or morning, at least. and THEN, Tammy wanted a Wendys frosty for lunch, but also did NOT want one, so she had the Wendys people split it in half so that technically, she didn't have one...and gave the other half to me so my day would be better!!! girlfriends rule.

so, i woke up at 550am to interview for an environmental consulting gig in woodland hills at 7am (who the hell interviews at that time?! yup, i found em!), with suit...lost my phone...good stuff happened (see above)...then i got stuck at a 5pm poster presentation during the evening at my school, a mingling "event" with industry which i only attended because i am still looking for a job, again with suit. (i hate suits.) i ended up hanging with three old dudes who wanted to chat it up about STRIP CLUBS, at a professional function no less. one of them lives in vegas, e.g., an "environmental disaster." one works for the petroleum association, something like that. one works for a state senator. all three were recruiting at a school of environmental science and management. and then they started to talk crap about the frogs. boo.

the job search sucks thus far...but things are being put into perspective, or maybe i'm just losing patience and am resorting to drastic measures. first, i applied for a job as a tv show host on the travel channel. they wanted someone with an environmental science background to act as a "guide" for a show on eco-tourism around the world. hello...DREAM JOB! the gal even called me back, got me all pumped and i submitted two videos with the help of an amazing full-fledged media crew at Bren...blah blah blah...first thing i've been excited about in months. found out yesterday, totally didn't get it. :( next, i've been applying for environmental consulting gigs because cleaning up hazardous waste gets me really excited for some reason, but EVERY SINGLE COMPANY has lured me in under false pretenses, e.g., location-wise or job-wise. THEN, after they get me to drive 100 miles for an interview, they lay it on me that 1) the job is actually in orange county (gag), or 2) the job is not quite what they described on the phone. people, have you seen the gas prices?!!! (it has hit $4 in my area.) so inconvenient and unthoughtful...gee whiz. at this point, i am seriously considering packing up my car...whatever doesn't fit, sell it...and heading for Colo...and whenever i see a bike trail along the way, ride it. apply for jobs once i get there because i would have a better chance, but then i'd be so busy on my bike, not sure if this plan would work. can anyone out there think of a crazier plan?!!!

also, anyone out there have a job they want to give me?! preferably one that will allow me to pursue creative environmental problem-solving, either related to hazardous waste or air quality, in an office with windows (overlooking either the beach or mountains), with some field work and international travel. friendly, competent personnel and good benefits, especially flexible hours, a plus. i also seek six figures, a hot boy (brains not necessary), and dog with the deal. and a new bike.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I have a little address book for phone numbers, and every few months i write down any new numbers I have in my phone into the book. That way I have a hard copy in case anything happens.

You should just do what my step-sister´s cousin Leon did-- find some job that will do, work and save money like crazy for 6 months, then go someplace super cool and do whatever (lots of bike riding?) for 6 months. You´d probably love Chile-- very similar to California (trrain wise, though much more variety too), MUCH cheaper... though getting down here can ber a bit of a bitch.

I say pack up and go to Colorado. It seems to be calling out your name.

We 4 Bears said...

Gina - I love your recent entries. Especially the Wendy's frosty note, that was very cute, and exactly what girlfriends are for. Can't wait to hear where you settle down!