25 September 2011

update

email #3, dated 18 october 2004:

"Hi everyone,
Here is another quick update on things. We are now in Alicante, moving up the eastern coast of Spain. VERY nice place along el Costa Blanco. Lots of British money out here. Very Mediterranean with white sand and palm trees, big marinas with even bigger yachts. Things seem slow here. Even the fish swim more slowly, really. I highly recommend this place for a visit...or maybe it just seems so wonderful after leaving the farm? That is the problem with this trip. My impressions are affected in most situations...they are not pure feelings because I have encountered so many ups and downs during the last few weeks. Is this the way to travel?
After living for a week on the farm, both X and I were absolutely filthy (although I had a bigger problem with it). I cannot go into details or you would think I was so disgusting for putting up with such conditions that you´d never speak to me again. Let´s just say, "I was miserable." However, we did learn a bit about farming (i.e. weeding interdependence with lunar cycles, composting, sowing, conejo hunting, natural horsemanship, etc.), and I got to eat some of the best food ever. Holy cow, Siri could cook! I took notes, so I will attempt to cook up some stuff for you all when I get back. Also, our host family was incredibly nice. Our Spanish improved a bit since that was their preferred language. Because we got so dirty, and our backs were so sore from sleeping in a tent for a week (no thermarests, just lots of rocks and apparently spiders that built webs underneath my tent footprint, yuck!), we checked into a 4-star hotel in Alicante yesterday just to be sure we had clean sheets, a hot shower, and NO BUGS. (I slept for 12 hours.) Once again, I will spare you the details of just how dirty and disgusting I personally got, but after my bath in the hotel (quite possibly the most comfortable, refreshing moment in my life thus far), I left behind a thick, slimy ring of brown crap along the edges. I was so grossed out. I think I hit a low last week, cleanliness wise. I can´t stop thinking about it...I truly dreamt about being chased my bugs two nights ago. I actually developed a small case of dandruff in literally 7 days. It´s gone now, as are the fleas.   :)    I also got a cold. I think I am now officially a¨"priss" from America, and I love that I am what I am. God bless consistent hot showers!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Despite my horrors in the tent, we are attempting to find a place to camp for a few days before moving onto Barcelona. Can´t wait. I hear that city is amazing.
That is all for now. I miss you. Will write soon...
gg"

No comments: